All participants are scattered in the playing area. Tell the participants that they are now on-board a pirate ship, and need to follow the rules of the sea. Tell the participants that they are to run around the ship and act on the Captain’s Orders.
● To the ship: run to the captain’s right
● To the island: run to the captain’s left
● Hit the deck: lay down on your stomach (or if participants don’t want to get dirty, they can crouch down)
● Attention on deck: salute and yell “Aye, Aye captain!” – participants may not move now until the captain gives the order of “At ease!” (i.e. even if the captain gives a different order such as ‘to the ship’ the crew must continue to remain at attention until told “at ease”.
● Three men in a boat: the crew must form groups of three and sing “Row, row, row your boat” Anybody who is not in a group of three is out.
● Clear the deck: everyone must have their feet up off the floor
● Scrub the deck: everyone on their knees scrubbing
● Captain’s Quarters: everyone run towards the captain
● Man overboard: participants must find a partner as quickly as possible. participants without a partner or pairs that are too slow are eliminated.
- Requires 4 x Markers - if there aren't already objects that can be nominated eg. a couch could be 'the ship'.
- May require some adjustment to suit Pre-School aged children, the elderly, pregnant women or SEND participants.